Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Why Can't I Just Be Mama?

My children call me Mama.  It was a poignant and personal decision I came to while pregnant with my first child.  Just as it was my privilege (and my husband's) to name our child, it was also my privilege to re-name myself.

A rare and privileged opportunity.

So I am Mama.  And Gabe is Papa.

And now my children are beginning school and entering the world and the teachers and parents and helpers and doctors and nurses and everyone else who has influence over my child uses universal terms like "your Mom" and "your Dad".

When Wolfie was two, three and four, he would always always always refer to me as Mama.  He would adamantly correct anyone who said Dad or Daddy. 

"His name is Papa."

This week Wolfie and I did an activity together which was sent home from school.  Homework, you call it, but it was a word game.  He needs to fill out an evaluation form and answer questions:
1) Was this activity fun?  Yes or No
2) Who did this activity with you?
3) Comments:

The comments part cracks me up.  Future blog reader ;)

But he wrote "Mom".  I admit, I was a little disappointed. 

This afternoon he made a reading test for me.  At the top he wrote Name                                 
I love the authenticity of this.  I took it seriously.  I asked him if he wanted me to write June or Mama.  He told me to just write Mom.  Again with the Mom.  Again I was a little disappointed.

I don't know.  It's just my thing, right.  I'm allowed to have my thing.

PS - I wrote Mama.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you're owning your Mamahood. This is just cute all over the place.

    ReplyDelete