Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A little forgiveness

Gabe has been out all day, so I was in charge of dinner which doesn't happen too often.  I mean, I can cook but Gabe is a better chef and it comes more naturally to him.

I decided to treat the kids to pigs-in-a-blanket Mama style.  They have pigs-in-a-blanket often enough...but not with cheese!  I thought I was hot stuff in the kitchen, whipping up this delicious meal in my husband's absence.  But alas, when I served them, the crescents were not fully cooked.  They were kind of runny and just needed more oven time.  I discovered this once I bit into my own pig-in-a-blanket and by then the kids had already started eating theirs.

I told them the food was not finished cooking, and that I would have to put it back in the oven for a few minutes and they all responded with a chorus of "It's okay,"  and "They're fine," and "I like them just the way they are." 

It was so sweet.  They were so forgiving.  My darling children, sensitive to my novice skills in the kitchen.

After dinner, I discovered a piece was missing from the jigsaw puzzle Gabe and I finished that morning.  He's going to glue it together tomorrow and hang it up in his man cave (which is actually just a man shelf in the garage).  I asked Wolfie and Tulip if they knew anything about the missing piece and Tulip said, "I'll give you a clue: L-U-N-A."  I brought Luna to the puzzle and asked her if she took the piece.  She said, "Yes."  I asked her where she put it and she said, "I do not know."  Sigh.

I announced, "No dessert until we find the missing piece."  The kids tore up the house.  They pulled cushions off the couch.  Wolfie did an army crawl to look under the fridge.  I tossed in a few, "Oh boy, Papa will be really upset if we don't find that piece," just to up the ante.  The search proved futile.  No puzzle piece, no dessert.

And then just like that, I moved a scrap of paper on the same table as the puzzle and there was the piece!  Hooray dessert!  Hooray happy parents!  Hooray, Luna won't get in trouble (whatever that means in my household).

But then Wolfie said to me confidentially, "I still think you should tell Papa what Luna did."

Hmmm, not so forgiving when it's your little sister and it almost cost you dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment