Monday, October 24, 2011

"H" is for Topless Barbie

This week is "H" week at Tulip's preschool.  On Monday, students may bring items to school that start with the letter of the week.  The teachers do a counting lesson with the items while reinforcing the letter and letter sound.  I'm sure you know the drill.

So far, Tulip brought a quarter to school for "Q" week, a football for "F" week and a turtle for "T" week.  This morning, she grabbed her one and only Barbie.  If you know me, you know I'm not the biggest fan of Barbie.  I'm not a mom that thinks Barbie is evil, I just think that there are other types of dolls out there.  Generic dolls that your daughter can name all by herself.  Dolls that don't wear make-up.  You know, dolls that look like little girls and not grown women.  Not to sound like a hypocrite, I will admit that I had a few Barbies when I was a little girl and, really, it was all about the clothes.  But still.  I'm the mom now so I am trying to steer my daughters toward different doll choices.

Anyway, Tulip has this one Barbie that she got for her birthday from a little friend.  Tulip named her Barbie "Lovie" which is very telling, don't you think?

This morning she announced that she changed her Barbie's name to Heart.  It's H week.  Get it?

Barbie/Lovie/Heart came with a bathing suit.  Luna is obsessed with taking off Barbie/Lovie/Heart's bikini top - also very telling, don't you think? 

Gabe couldn't find that top anywhere.  He tried convincing Tulip that Heart would be too cold to go to school but Tulip insisted that Heart would be okay.  So he let her bring her topless Barbie to school for H week.

They visited Grandma after school for lunch.  Wouldn't you know, Grandma has a whole trunk full of Barbies and Barbie clothes that she has just been itching to pawn off on my daughters.  Gabe sensibly thought it would be a good idea to bring home some new clothes for Barbie/Lovie/Hear.

At least when Barbie/Lovie/Heart decides to make a new appearance at preschool, perhaps when she changes her name to Rainbow for "R" week, she'll be dressed a bit more decent in a satin evening gown.

No comments:

Post a Comment